Wednesday, May 20, 2009

RECIPE: Chicken Meatloaf

I had originally planned to have Apricot Mustard Pork this week but our weekend plans have changed. I had thawed out the chicken breasts I got from Kroger for $.99/lb. They are huge chicken breasts and I removed the bones from them, leaving me with 3 chicken breasts and 3 chicken tenders. Instead of the pork this week, I'm going to make chicken meatloaf. Usually I make this with ground turkey, but the cost of ground turkey is ridiculous! I think Publix has it for about $4.50/lb. I think that's crazy. So I ground up 1 chicken breast and 2 tenders in my food processor to create my own ground chicken. The other change to the turkey meatloaf? I usually microwave it in my Tupperware cooker, and this time I'm going to bake them in muffin cups. I'll let you know if it was a winner:


Chicken Meatloaf
  • 1 lb ground chicken
  • 1/4 box of 10 oz box frozen spinach, thawed and drained (I partially thaw it in the microwave, enough so that I can cut it into 4 equal cubes. I put the other 3 cubes in a ziplock baggie and back in the freezer it goes, then finish nuking the last cube to it's thawed)
  • 1/2 cup quick cooking oatmeal
  • 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1 tbsp ketchup
  • 1 tsp mustard
  • 1 tsp Montreal Chicken Seasoning (McCormicks - I got this free this week)
  • 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In large mixing bowl, combine spinach, oatmeal, Worcestershire sauce, egg whites, ketchup, mustard and seasonings. Add ground chicken to mixture and mix thoroughly. Spray muffin tin with non stick cooking spray and using an ice cream scooper or cookie scooper, add about 1/2 cup chicken mixture to each cup - I filled 8 muffin cups. Bake in oven for about 15-20 minutes...make sure instant read thermometer reads 165 degrees F for chicken dishes.

Calories per 2 chicken meatloaf muffins: 104 calories, 5 grams fat. (information per my-calorie-counter.everydayhealth.com) Give or take a few calories.

*** UPDATE *** Everyone loved it!!! At first, Kevin thought it needed a little something extra. So I made the meatloaf sauce I normally make for turkey and beef meatloaf and it was so yummy! To make the meatloaf sauce, mix 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup ketchup and about 1 tsp mustard. Spoon a little sauce on each muffin while hot and it's even better! Assuming you can divide this sauce into 8 equal spoonfuls (46 calories per muffin), you need to add 98 calories to each serving for a total of 202 calories per serving. Not too bad for your protein! And if you don't want to add the sauce, then just eat an extra muffin...

Enjoy!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails