So after scanning the weekly ads from the newspaper, I devised a thrifty meal that could feed our family and fill our bellies with good and relatively healthy food.
As you know, I buy chicken breasts from Kroger when they are on sale for $.99/lb. (And Kroger currently has them on sale this week until Saturday 6/27.) Usually they package 3 chicken breasts per pack and usually they are priced between $3.00-$4.00 a package. I'll bake up the whole pack or put it in the crock pot, which ever I feel like that day. After they're done, I shred one chicken breast from the bones and put it in a food storage container to use later in the week. Here's how I make...
Easy Chicken & Rice Casserole
- 1 chicken breast, cooked & shredded $1.25
- 1 package rice (I use whatever I was able to get on sale, Knorr Lipton Creamy Chicken Flavored Rice, Uncle Ben's Chicken & Wild Rice, etc...) $.25 c
- 1 can condensed cream of chicken soup (if you don't have cream of chicken on hand, substitute with what you have in your pantry, cream of celery, cream of mushroom, etc...) $.75 c
- 2 cans of water (from the soup can) FREE
- 1 cup frozen broccoli (optional) $.25 c
- 1/2 cup frozen peas (optional) $.25 c
You can easily double this and bake in a 13x9 dish.
Last summer we probably ate this meal 3 times a week. But my family went to bed with a full belly and I came out a better couponer. That experience taught me alot.
And this is the first time we've had it this year :)