Thursday, June 18, 2009

RECIPE: Taco Soup (Weight Watchers Friendly)

This week I stretched a meal with an 8 lb pork roast. I was a little worried it might not make it all week. But in the end I did not need to be worrisome. In fact, I ended up with 3 quarts of shredded pork! My cousin Brenda has a delicious recipe for Taco Soup. I tweaked it for our family and we call it Chili. You call it whatever your family likes and enjoy it!

Here's the original recipe:

Brenda's Taco Soup
  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 1 large onion, diced

Add beef and onion to dutch oven and brown meat. Drain fat.

Add:
  • 1 can pinto beans
  • 1 can fat free refried beans
  • 2 cans Mexican style chili beans
  • 1 can whole kernal corn
  • 1 can chopped tomatoes
  • 1-1/2 cup water
  • 1 can green chiles chopped
  • 1 pkg taco seasoning
  • 1 pkg Hidden Valley Ranch Mix

Mix together and simmer for an hour. 1 cup = 2-1/2 WW points.


This is the tweaked recipe:

Chili
  • 4 cups shredded pork (pre-cooked)
  • 1/2 very finely diced onion
  • 1 can pinto beans (I have substituted black beans too!)
  • 1 can fat free refried beans
  • 1 can Chili flavored red beans
  • 1 can chopped tomatoes & green chiles
  • 1 can chicken broth
  • 1 pkg Taco seasoning
  • 1 pkg Hidden Valley Ranch mix

Mix all together in dutch oven and simmer for an hour. My husband doesn't like corn or Ranch dressing...I left out the corn, but well ....shhh! Some things are better left unsaid :) When I don't have pork we do use ground beef. I use whatever meat I have on hand. I haven't tried this with chicken yet. But I'm sure it would be yummy!

And thank you Brenda for the recipe!

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Oh taco soup is one of my all time favorite meals. I love soup generally but this is one of the most filling and delish.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails