Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Homeschool: "V" is for Vegetable Seeds

Last week we covered the letter "V" with Haylei.  We learned about volcanoes, vultures and violets.  We also learned how to draw vertical lines.  But more importantly, we learned about vegetables.  I have been receiving seed catalogs in the mail and saving them for a project.  Haylei looked through the catalogs and cut out all the vegetables she liked.  Then glued them to a piece of scrapbook paper. 

We took a field trip to Callaway Gardens in Pine Mountain to visit Mr. Cason's Vegetable Garden and peeked in at the Victory Garden Shed.  And had a picnic by the lake.  It was a really nice day.



Last week Susie at Susie's Homemade created a tutorial determining if your vegetable seeds were viable for planting.  I thought this would be a great project for Haylei and I to do together.   


I had purchased some seed packets on clearance last fall and also tried my hand at "seed-saving" with a few overgrown green beans from our garden.  I thought it might be a good idea to see if the older seed packets will still grow vegetables.  I also wanted to see if I dried the green beans properly for the "seed-saving".  I'm really excited to see how those turn out. 

I'll let you know if they sprout!

Enjoy

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails