Thursday, January 14, 2010

RECIPE: Profiteroles

Profiteroles...yeah, that's what I said.  They are sort of like little puffy rolls.  And were oh so easy to make.  This was my first attempt and pretty successful.  I read a couple of recipes at the Food Network but ultimately decided to go with Ina Garten's recipe.  However, she made hers to be stuffed with ice cream and drizzled in chocolate...yes and I know, why didn't I do that?  But I wanted to stuff them with chicken salad.  And they were so cute and delicious!

Profiteroles
1 cup milk
1 stick butter
pinch of Kosher salt
1 cup all purpose flour
4 eggs

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.  Heat the milk, butter and salt over medium heat until scalded.  You will notice little bubbles around the edge of the pot.  Don't boil it.  When the butter is melted, add the flour all at once and beat it with a wooden spoon until the mixture comes together and forms a ball of dough.  Cook, stirring constantly, over low heat for 2 minutes.  The flour will begin to coat the bottom of the pot.  Dump the hot mixture into a food processor fitted with a steel blade.  Pour the eggs down the chute one at a time while the processor is processing.  The mixture will be thick and sort of shiny.  Spoon the mixture into a gallon food storage baggie and cut a 1/4" hold out of the corner.  Pipe in mounds 1-1/2" wide and 1" high on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.  This will make about 18 puffs.  Wet your finger with water and gently press down the swirly tip on the top of each puff.

Bake for about 20 minutes or until lightly brown.  Turn off the oven and leave the puffs in the oven for another 10 minutes. They should sound hollow when you tap on the bottom.  Using a sharp knife or toothpick, make a small slit or hole in the side of each puff to allow steam to escape.  Set aside to cool.

Once they have cooled, cut or pull them apart at a natural split and stuff with a small scoop of chicken salad.  I made these for my daughter's Teddy Bear Tea Party last week and we all devoured them!  You can see them pictured below on the bottom tier.



These were so yummy!  I think when I make them again, I'll try adding a dried herb to the dough.  And I was really surprised at how easy they were to make.  I hope you'll give them a try.

Enjoy!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails