Monday, February 15, 2010

Kitchen Organization III - 3 down 1 to go!

Momma watched the kiddos for me and Kevin so we could pick up some composted manure for our vegetable garden this year.  When I finally got in touch with the farmer, she said the ground was too soggy and we'd probably get stuck in the mud if we tried to pick some up today.  We're going to try later in the week.

Since we were out (alone!), we decided to go to Walmart.  I know, isn't that what all old married couples do?  Probably not, but we're such fuddy-duds, we were very happy hanging out in Walmart for an hour or two without the kids begging for a toy. (But we bought them each one before we left :)

I was able to pick up some new organizers for my next kitchen drawer.  After last week's beautiful result, I knew I had to find the same organizers, only they needed to be a little longer to fit the utensils in the drawer.
Remember what it looked like:

Then I got everything out of the drawer:

And then everything was put back in:

Well, not everything - I couldn't fit my kitchen knives in the drawer or my Pampered Chef Food Chopper.  I decided I don't use the Food Chopper as much since I have learned how to properly use a knife.  So I'm storing it in a cabinet under the counter.  Nope, I'm not ready to part with it yet.  I've had it for about 15 years and you know how I have a hard time letting go.  If I haven't used it in the next 6 months though, I'll donate it to Goodwill -- that's a promise! (my husband just read this over my shoulder and shook his head, he doesn't think I'll donate it -- I'll show him!)

As for the knives, my in-laws bought me a magnetic knife rack that I've never installed.  My brother offered to come over tomorrow afternoon and help me install it for me.  He says it needs some kind of plastic insert, since we're going to be drilling into the grout line in the backsplash.  I completely trust him since he and my dad built our house!  :) 

But doesn't it look good?!

I'm so loving this organizing thing.  I'm not sure if I'll be working on a drawer for next week.  I only have these three large drawers (silverware drawer, hardware/junk drawer, utensil drawer) and I have 3 smaller drawers. I keep kitchen towels in the middle and bottom two drawers and in the top drawer, I store tin foil, plastic wrap and parchment paper.  So there really isn't a lot of organizing I can do with those.  But I was thinking I might try organizing the laundry room/closet.  It's an absolute mess and I have so many bottles of laundry detergent, I'm running out of areas to store them.  I'm thinking maybe we can install another shelf atop the existing one and look around for some kind of organizer that might fit between the washer and the dryer.  

Hmmm...that sounds expensive...we'll see...

This post has been linked to:

12 comments:

mary n said...

VERY NICE. do you have a pantry or closet with a door? i bought one of those organizers that hang over the door with a few shelves on it and love it. that's where i keep all my ziploc bags, foil and plastic wrap. i love your blog. you've helped me a lot.

Miriam said...

You're doing SO AWESOME!! The drawers are looking so nice, you'd never know they weren't organized :) Is it getting any easier as you go? I totally love your before and after pictures, things like that always help us bloggers feel "real" to each other :) Once we get the nursery finished (our goal this week), I will be posting the before and after pictures. One year ago if you told me that room was going to hold a baby I wouldn't have believed you!

Candi said...

Hi Mary - Thanks! And no, I don't have a REAL pantry. I have settled for a shelving unit in the garage. It works out great so far. I haven't seen the organizer that hangs over the door. I'm REALLY new to the organizing thing. But I'll definitely keep my eyes open for it.

Thanks Miriam! I can't wait to see your before and after pictures. It's sort of an accountability issue I think, you know, getting organized and keeping it that way. It's funny because we have been in this house for about 9 years and we've never REALLY organized anything. And now I'm loving it!

Jodi said...

Great job!!

Katherine @ Grass Stains said...

It ALWAYS feels good to get organized, even if it's in a small space such as a drawer! I did my utensil drawer in my kitchen, too, and I haven't missed a single thing. One thing I did do was move my most-often-used utensils to a jar on the countertop next to the stove, and that helped a lot with convenience.

annies home said...

even a small organization job helps make life easier

Anonymous said...

Fuddy duddy my eye. We do the same thing. LOL! And what is real sad is my kids are older where I don't have to worry about a babysitter.

Taly said...

Wonderful job. WIll need to tackle my drawers again.

So Sunny Day said...

woo hoo for clean drawers! isn't is satisfying to open it and know exactly where everything goes? :)

~ Emily N. from "too Blessed to Stress"

Half-Assed Housewife said...

I got drawer organizers a couple of years ago and it is one of the better investments I have made in my sanity.

I still just throw stuff in there, but at least the boxes I have to dig through are less than a whole drawer!

kaycee
-halfassedhousewife.com

Amy @ Finer Things said...

Your drawers put my drawers to shame. :)

FishMama said...

Great progress. Do you want to come do my kitchen drawers now? ;) Looks great.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails