Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Batch Cooking: Homemade Instant Oatmeal

This month I'm not doing OAMC (once-a-month-cooking) since my days are full and my weekends are crazy.  Instead, I'm going to be doing some batch cooking/preparing.  Today, we had a few minutes after supper and my son and I put together 30 instant oatmeal pouches.  We used the recipe from Life as Mom.  We added some chopped dried apples.  We even tasted one to make sure the cinnamon wasn't too strong.  The kids nearly licked the bowl clean!  It was so good!

Here's her recipe:

Homemade Instant Oatmeal
1/4 cup quick cooking oats
1 teaspoon powdered milk
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons brown sugar
pinch of salt
1 Tablespoon dried apples, chopped

She suggests mixing a pouch of oatmeal with 6 Tablespoons of water.  It was the perfect thickness for us.  If you like it thinner, you might want to change up the water measurements.  Then we microwaved a bowl for 1 minute. 
This recipe is per pouch.  We set up an assembly line and filled the pouches as we went.  We used 1/2 a large canister of oatmeal to fill 30 pouches.  We ran out of the dried apples or we might have finished up the entire canister.  We'll know better next time.  And there will be a next time.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

This sounds pretty easy, I'll have to give it a try.

Susie said...

What a GREAT idea!!

Christina said...

That is a really cool idea! I just finished a container of oatmeal this morning & was thinking of how much easier instant oatmeal was but not worth the extra cost! I'm definitely going to do this next time I go the the store!! Thanks!

Unknown said...

I have an award for you! :)

http://angelfoodskitchen.blogspot.com/2010/07/michelle-from-all-home-cooking-all-year.html

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails