Tuesday, November 22, 2011

RECIPE: Pumpkin Sherbet

A few weeks ago, my husband and I traveled to North Carolina to celebrate our anniversary.  While there, we stopped at a little ice cream parlor and I ate the BEST pumpkin ice cream I've ever had.  It was delicious.  It was so good, I had it two days in a row.  Oh yes, I did!!!  The first time I had pumpkin and chocolate with hot caramel sauce and pecans.  The last time I had it without the chocolate.  Oh my goodness it was so good.  I'm sure it wasn't figure friendly.  So when I saw this yummy recipe for Pumpkin Sherbet, I knew I had to try it.  I wish I had an ice cream maker.  But I don't.  In the mean time, I figured I could make a faux Pumpkin ice cream by pouring the mixture into a Pyrex dish and freezing.  It sort of worked.  I forgot about it and the ice crystals got too large.  Next time, I'll remember.  it was really good.

So here's what I did:

Pumpkin Sherbet
2-1/4 cup fat free milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
pinch of cloves

Bring milk, sugar and pumpkin to a boil. reduce and to simmer 1 minute. add vanilla and spices. Pour into pyrex and freeze. remember to stir every 15-30 minutes. Freeze solid. Scoop and serve.

Serving Size: 5 - 1/2 cup servings;  132 calories, 0.2 gr fat, 28.3 gr carbs, 4.4 gr protein  

I removed it from the Pyrex to a plastic container with a lid.

Okay, so I drizzled a little caramel ice cream syrup and chopped walnuts over the top.  It was pretty tasty!  I have an idea I want to try with this.  If it works, I'll share it with you.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

(wreckedher) said...

Have you tried the Walden Farms caramel syrup? They also make chocolate. it's 0 calories!!

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

I don't have an ice cream maker either, I've never tried making it this way. I think I'm going to try as this sounds really good and I've been making tons of things with pumpkin!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails