Monday, September 21, 2009

RECIPE: Creamy Frosted Orange Pie


As you may have already read, we are trying to watch what we eat and begin eating better, lower calorie meals. Well, I have the BIGGEST sweet tooth and know myself well enough that I would NEVER be able to completely give up certain things...ice cream being one! I was looking through my freezer and cabinets and came up with a pretty tasty and pretty figure friendly ice cream style pie.


Creamy Frosted Orange Pie

For the crust:
6 chocolate flavored graham crackers $.60
2 Tbsp melted butter $.13

Break up the graham crackers and put them in the food processor and process until finely crumbed. Pour melted butter down tube and pulse until combined. Pour mixture into 8" springform pan and press into the bottom only; set aside.

For the filling:
1 8-oz non-dairy light whipped topping (like Cool Whip), thawed $.98
1 11-oz can mandarin oranges, drained $.50
1 pkg sugar free orange gelatin $.20
1 tsp orange extract (optional, but I had it in the cabinet and thought it sounded good) $.10

In a mixing bowl, add non-dairy whipped topping, mandarin oranges, gelatin and extract. Stir well to combine and pour into prepared crust, smoothing top evenly. Cover with tin foil or plastic wrap and place in the freezer for 2 hours or until firm. To serve, remove springform side and move pie to serving plate. Cut into 8 slices, serving size is 1 piece. If I did my math right, this works out to 155 calories per serving. And it only cost me $2.51 to make this pie or about $.32 a slice!!!

VERDICT: This is so good! My parents came over to eat tonight and I served this for dessert---it was a real winner! There weren't any leftovers which is great when you are watching your calories (no midnight visits to the fridge!) We loved it so much we thought about other versions: Island Pineapple gelatin and pineapple tidbits; Peach gelatin with diced peaches; Strawberry gelatin with fresh diced strawberries...I think the combos are endless. I hope you try this for your family!

I think next time, I might try to make the crust with water instead of butter. I don't know if it will be too crumbly but it will shave off 200 calories overall, about 25 calories per piece!

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's so cool you can look in your cabinets and come up with something! I would never be able to do that! I'll try this recipe though, we're trying to eat better too!

Christina

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails