Sunday, October 18, 2009

RECIPE: Boiled Peanuts - Crockpot Style

I don't know about other parts of our country, but here in the South we love our boiled peanuts. I admit it's an acquired taste. When my brother and I were younger, our parents would take us to the North Georgia Mountains in the Fall to see the beautiful leaves. While there, my dad would see a hand-painted sign "BOILED PEANUTS AHEAD". Inevitably, we would stop by a roadside stand where an old man would be sitting in a chair next to a steaming cast iron pot hanging from a tripod contraption over an open flame. He'd ladle a spoonful of peanuts into a bag and hand them over. Every year I would try them and every year I'm glad I never had to eat them.

When my husband and I celebrated our honeymoon in the North Georgia Mountains, I found out he had a love for boiled peanuts. We picked up a bag from a roadside stand and I tried them again and LOVED them! Now when the grocery stores have the green peanuts in the bulk bin, I buy a couple of pounds and make them at home. Here's how I do it:


Boiled Peanuts - Crockpot Style

1 lb green peanuts (also known as raw peanuts)
enough water to cover the peanuts
2 Tablespoons salt
2 Tablespoons Cajun seasoning
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes

Put all above ingredients into a large crockpot, add enough water to cover the peanuts. Cover with crockpot lid and set to low for 8-10 hours or high for 4-6 hours. After their cooking time is up, let them soak in the cooking liquid to take on more flavor. Any leftover peanuts can be removed from the liquid and refrigerated in a storage containers...we never have leftovers!

Enjoy!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails