Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Freezer Cooking Day 1 - Waffles, Granola, Pizza Dough, Turkey Tetrazzini


This is Money Saving Mom's recipe for waffles. They are so good! She suggests using 1/4 cup oil and 1/4 cup puree so I used applesauce. But I used 1 cup all purpose flour and 3/4 cup whole wheat flour just because my picky eater doesn't really like whole wheat things. I have to sneak it in on him when I can so I figured half is better than none.


I think my waffle maker must be deeper than hers because I only got 18 waffles out of a quadruple batch. One got mangled by the waffle maker and one...


...got snitched by an adorable blue-eyed baby boy...


Then I made these Chewy Chocolate Chip Granola Bars and I made a second batch with dried cherries.
Then I started on the pizza dough. But I ran out of yeast and only had enough to triple the recipe rather than making the recipe x6. Oh well, I put yeast on my list on the fridge.


After 1st rise it looked like this...sort of like the "blob"...


This is what they looked like after the 2nd rise. I put them in freezer storage baggies and into the freezer.


I wasn't planning to make Turkey Tetrazzini and freeze it until later in the month. But we had Turkey Dinner Sunday night and I had lots of leftover turkey (a gallon storage baggie full!) One of my dear friends lost her dad to cancer over the weekend and they will be having a memorial service on Friday evening. Afterward, they are having a gathering so I decided the turkey casserole would be a good thing to take. This was my first time making it and Oh My Goodness!!! It is really really good. I totally tweaked the original recipe from a cookbook my mother-in-law gave me but isn't that what recipes are for?


Last but definitely not least, (and actually these pictures are way out of order, but you get the idea). I sorted and soaked 2 cups of Pinto beans and 2 cups of Great Northern beans overnight.

Glad I sorted them, check out that rock!


The the seasonings for the Mexican Style Chili Beans. I think Walmart calls them "Ranch" beans. But you know the ones I'm talking about right? The ones in the spicy red tomato sauce? So here's what I used:

Put all that into a skillet and sauteed it.

Then after I added the tomato sauce and tomato paste, it was poured over the drained beans. Cooked it for another hour.

Then divided them into quart containers that went into the freezer. I tasted a couple before freezing them and they were so good. They really did taste like the Chili beans from a can, only better!


The shredded chicken will come next because it's not quite done...I'm working on the chicken stock...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails