Monday, February 1, 2010

OAMC: Completed for February

This has been a loooonnngggg OAMC "day".  After stretching this over 4 days, I've decided I really do like to have it all done in one day.  I might be completely exhausted by the end of that one day and my kitchen might be a complete mess, but having a messy kitchen for 4 days and being exhausted for 4 days is not worth it.  

Our freezer is ready for the month of February.  We ate our first freezer meal of Baked Ziti/Pasta tonight.  It was wonderful!  We had a very busy day and got home around 5:30.  I poured the thawed pasta into a casserole dish, topped it with shredded mozzarella and baked it at 375 degrees F for 45 minutes.  It was so yummy.  The kids ate all of the pasta and NO ONE knew I had put the secret ingredient in it.  We also have another Baked Ziti/Pasta for later in the month.  

Originally I planned to accomplish this:
  • 36 chocolate chip granola bars (I cannot keep these in the house! Last time I made them, they lasted 2 days -- TWO DAYS!!! But I should count that as a compliment to how good they taste.)  
  • 24 sweet potato cranberry muffins (I'm going to use the pumpkin chocolate chip recipe and substitute sweet potato for pumpkin and chopped frozen cranberries for chocolate chips.)
  • 24 pumpkin chocolate chip muffins
  • 40 breakfast burritos for Kevin's breakfasts
  • 4 quarts of Mexican style chili beans
  • 4 batches of pizza dough
  • a batch of pork empanadas using up the leftover Citrus Cumin Pork Roast from last month, 
  • 2 Chicken Alfredo Florentine Casseroles (I'll probably use this recipe as a starting point and wing it as I go), 
  • 2 Baked Ziti Casseroles
  • a batch of chocolate chip cookie dough and freeze them in rounded scoops.  I've never done this before but have read it can be very successful. 
And I ended up with this:
  • 2 Baked Ziti/Pasta Casseroles
  • 2 Chicken Alfredo Florentine Casseroles
  • 2 Small Chicken Alfredo Casseroles minus the Florentine Casseroles for Kevin
  • 5 bags of Black Beans and Great Northern Beans
  • 18 Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Muffins
  • 1 loaf Orange Cranberry Sweet Potato Bread (I am so going to make this into muffins!!!  It is so good!)
  • 36 Chewy Chocolate Chip Granola Bars
  • 4 batches of Pizza Dough
  • 4 Empanadas (I'm not going to make these again.  What a huge flop!)
  • 24 Baked Yeast Rolls
  • Frozen Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough balls ready to bake
I didn't make any more Breakfast Burritos for Kevin since he still has another bag and a half leftover from last month.  If he gets low, I'll make up a small batch.  I think I might have to make some more yeast rolls but that can wait for a few weeks.  But for now, I'm done cooking for the month.  


Was your OAMC day successful?

4 comments:

Chaos Cottage said...

You use the same recipe for Baked Ziti that I do. I'm using ground chicken or turkey in mine, as we don't eat beef any longer, unless it's the uber expensive organic kind. I am going to also use fresh sausage for half of the meat. I think that would add a lot of flavor to this dish. I will double or triple the recipe and freeze mine in 8x8 pans.

Pam

Sarah @ Fiddledeedee said...

Candi,
Wow, wonderful job! This is one of my goals for the year, so I enjoy reading posts like this for ideas and motivation. Thanks for sharing :)

Question for you - does the sour cream in the ziti freeze (or thaw, rather) okay?

Thanks!

Sarah

Candi said...

Hi Chaos Cottage - have you considered purchasing 1/4 grass fed beef to cut down on the cost of ground beef? We are researching it ourselves. We have a friend in Alabama who raises grass fed cows. We will probably set aside some of our tax return money to purchase some in the summer. I'll let you know how it goes.

Hi Sarah - To be completely honest, I didn't add the sour cream. My husband (the picky one) doesn't like sour cream so I left it out. But just before baking it I added another handful of shredded cheese to the mixture and stirred it in. So I guessing you might be able to add the sour cream during this step if you are afraid it might change the texture during freezing. Just a thought :)

The Proverbs Wife said...

This was so much fun. I regularly do OAMC but it was different knowing that so many other ladies were participating together and would share today.
Your menu looks great. It's given me a lot of transpiration for next month.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails