Have you tried Once-A-Month-Cooking? Some people call it Batch Cooking, Bulk Cooking, Freezer Cooking, Baking Day - whatever you choose to call it, it's so worth it! Crystal at Money Saving Mom and Jessica at Life as Mom are going to be hosting OAMC day(s). Be sure to visit the facebook page to RSVP. How fun!
My game plan is to do some of the prep work on Saturday and Sunday night and do the bulk of the assembling, cooking and baking on Monday. It should be an easy OAMC day. I hope!
- (Sunday) Brown and crumble 2 packages ground turkey for Sassy Sloppy Toms and Shepherd's Pie
- Use 2 packages ground turkey to roll and freeze Turkey Meatballs (double recipe for 40 meatballs, 20 for Spaghetti & Meatballs & 20 for Meatball Subs)
- Assemble Shepherd's Pie and freeze
- Assemble Chicken in Phyllo and freeze
- Cook up Sassy Sloppy Toms and freeze
- Mix and freeze Buttermilk Herb Dump Chicken
- (Saturday) 6 Chicken breasts into crock pots to be shredded and chopped for BBQ Chicken Pizza x 2, Black & White Pizza x 1, Buffalo Chicken Lasagna x 1, White Lightning Chili x 1 (need 5 bags: 2 shredded, 3 chopped)
- Yeast Rolls x 3 (mix up Saturday night, bake Sunday)
- French Bread shaped into 6" subs x 2 and 2 regular loaves for dinner Monday night and Friday Night
- Pizza Dough x 4
- Hamburger Buns x 3 (or these) (Sunday)
- Granola Bars x 2 (cranberry with pecan and Peanut Butter) I made 16 of the PB on Wednesday
- Raisin Bran Muffins
- Pumpkin French Toast Sticks
- Gloria's Apple Cake turned Apple Muffins (I'll reduce the sugar to 1 cup & add whole wheat flour)
Pigs in BlanketsI made 48 of these on Wednesday Macaroni and Cheese with Spinach Cups (I'll add thawed, drained spinach & bake them in muffin tins)I got a jump start and made 24 cups on Thursday
- Bean & Cheese Burritos
That's a long list and I might have to do this over a couple of days, but we'll see. I just hope it doesn't cover 4 days like last month. I've tried to include some lunch ideas for the kids: baked mac & cheese cups, bean & cheese burritos and pigs in blankets. These should last us throughout the month. We usually have macaroni & cheese with peas. Since I'm running low on the "blue box" mac & cheese, I figured I'd give the homemade baked version a try in a "cup" size for the kids.
I'm not sure if they will pop out of the muffin tins easily or if I'll need to pour the mixture into muffin cups. I have some tin foil cups that might work well. I'll figure it out as I go. When I made these on Thursday, I used the tin foil cups and they worked perfectly. The kids ate them for lunch and loved them. They peeled the foil away and dumped the pasta on their plates. It was so easy!
The muffins will be great breakfast alternatives and snack options. I'm really looking forward to the French Toast Sticks. I think the kids will love these! I've never made them and I'm not sure it's a good idea to try something new on OAMC day but, oh well...
Don't forget to follow along on twitter using hashtag #oamc to see what everyone else will be cooking and baking up.
So whatcha' got cookin' for your month?