Monday, May 10, 2010

RECIPE: Homemade Chocolate Pudding

This week for the FNCCC we're working on recipes for Tyler Florence.  I love his show Tyler's Ultimate.  We love chocolate, I mean what female doesn't?  So we decided to make his Chocolate Pudding.  Of course, I had to tweak it since I didn't have cocoa powder.  Here's what we did:

Homemade Chocolate Pudding
2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
3 egg yolks
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla (I totally forgot to add this in!)

Warm the milk, sugar and chocolate chips over medium low heat, stirring to melt chocolate being careful not to scorch. 

In a separate bowl, mix yolks with cornstarch and salt.  

After the chocolate chips have melted and the milk resembles chocolate milk, temper the yolks with the mixture.  Adding a little of the milk to the yolks and whisking to warm them.  Then pour the yolk mixture back into the saucepan with the warm chocolate milk whisking until combined.

Increase temperature to medium heat and bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer for 2-3 minutes or until it's thickened.  Don't forget to add the vanilla extract before pouring into serving dishes.  As for my "serving dishes", I don't own the cute little ramekins.  I collect tea cups and thought they would look pretty.  Refrigerate until ready to eat.  Then serve with whipped cream or cool whip.  

These are DELICIOUS!!!  I will definitely be making them again!

Be sure to visit I Blame My Mother to see what others are cooking up this week!

This post has also been linked to:

17 comments:

Mandy said...

I just tried making homemade vanilla pudding LAST weekend and it didn't come out -- it never hardened. Hmmm? I will have to try your recipe sometime soon. I didn't have/use eggs in my recipe and I used soy milk...wonder if that made the difference. Thanks for sharing this. Will try it out!

SnoWhite said...

they look lovely!

susan said...

This is one of my favorites and it looks beautiful in the tea cups!

April@The 21st Century Housewife said...

The chocolate pudding looks SO delicious - and what a beautiful way to serve it! Your teacups are gorgeous.

Unknown said...

Looks yummy! Your recipe is similar to my, except for the egg yolk. Next time I make pudding, I'll have to try it both ways to see what the taste difference is.

Susie said...

I love Tyler! This recipe looks delicious!!

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Yum! This sounds delish! Have you tried skim instead of whole milk?

Have a great Tuesday!
Sherry

Brenda said...

I used to make this for my kids.

Sarah said...

This looks delicious! Thanks for sharing.

Inspired2cook said...

Mmmmm, homemade chocolate pudding...it looks delicious!
http://www.inspired2cook.com

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

I have never made homemade pudding! It's always come from a box, I'll bet this tastes amazing, thanks!

Unknown said...

Sounds fantastic! And I love it served in the teacups - so pretty! Thanks for linking it up!

Sarah said...

You forget how much kids love the simple stuff! We made boxed pudding parfaits awhile back and they just loved them. I can imagine the real deal is much better and not too much more work!

Unknown said...

These look fabulous and I have been looking for a recipe like this! YUMMY! I am so glad you linked to Tuesday Tastes! I just put the People's Choice Award poll up on my sidebar, when you have a chance, come vote!

Happy Day,
Jasey @ Crazy Daisy
www.crazyjayzplace.blogspot.com

mub said...

I -almost- made this one but got lazy! I can't get chocolate chips here and I didn't want to spend the afternoon hacking up chocolate bars *L*

Ticia said...

I agree the tea cups totally make the presentation.

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Made this the other day. I like to call it "heaven in a bowl"! :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails