Friday, July 9, 2010

Friday Night Pizza: Campfire Pizza Pockets

A few weeks ago I was reading Christy's post on her blog at Southern Plate about campfire meat pies.  My mind went crazy thinking of all the great combos.  That afternoon, I was made some pizza dough to take on our trip to Savannah and decided to try and use the dough as the pocket and stuff them with pizza toppings.  They were very successful!  My husband loved it!  Less messy and a great food to take in the car.  So when we planned our camping trip, I decided we'd eat them again but grill them over the campfire to heat them and eat them.  Here's how I did them:

Campfire Pizza Pockets
I used  Pizza Dough II and made 1-1/2 times the recipe in order to make enough pizza pockets for everyone on the trip.

Divide the dough into 6-8 equal portions and roll them out flat using oil on a cookie sheet or parchment paper.  Fill them with whatever you like.  I did BBQ Chicken with Jack cheese, Tomato Mozzarella and Pepperoni with Mozzarella.

Fold the top over and press and twist the seal to close.  Place on oiled cookie sheet and bake at 425 for 15-18 minutes, until the tops are golden brown.

Remove to cooling rack.  Once cooled, wrap in tin foil and refrigerate.  You can eat these cold, by all means!  But to heat them, place them over a hot grill or at the edge of a campfire.

We got a total of 17 out of the batch.  One opened while baking so we ate it!  Austin said they were SO GOOD.  I have to agree!

Enjoy!

Linked to:
Life as Mom (Grab and Go)

4 comments:

Jenna @ Newlyweds said...

How fun and what a great idea for a less messy pizza. I have to try this.

Susie said...

What a GREAT idea!!

Mandy said...

Looks sooo good! Will be trying these out real soon. Thanks girl! I've been on a citris craving lately. I even posted two recipes on my site which I rarely ever do. But they were too good NOT to share. Here's the link if you're interested....

http://www.mandylifeafter30.com/2010/07/sweet-or-sour-and-great-citris-recipes.html

Unknown said...

These look great! I think we'll have to add them to the menu list. Thanks for sharing. Please join me this Thursday for my Tasty Traditions meme.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails