This is an easy recipe. The hardest part is getting the sugar to the right color. Just keep an eye on it because when you walk away, it's bound to get too brown (burnt sugar doesn't taste very good, I'm speaking from experience. Our first batch was burnt!)
Here's what we did:
Easy Caramel Coated Popcorn (adapted from all*you magazine)
1 bag microwaveable popcorn
1-1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
2 Tablespoons light corn syrup
2 Tablespoons butter, cut into cubes
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup nuts (we used dry roasted peanuts, but cashews would be amazing!)
Pop the popcorn according to box directions. Line a cookie sheet with a cooling rack. Pour the popcorn onto the rack and let the unpopped kernels fall onto the cookie sheet. Spray a large mixing bowl with non stick cooking spray. Pour the popcorn into the bowl; set aside. Toss out the unpopped kernels and spray cookie sheet with non stick cooking spray; set aside.
Stir together sugar, water and corn syrup in large sauce pot and bring to boil over medium high heat. Once it boils, reduce heat to medium and do not stir. Watch it carefully to see color change from clear to amber. It can take as little at 4 minutes and as long as 10 minutes. Amber is the color you are looking for, not rust.
Remove from heat, add butter and vanilla, stir to combine. It will bubble ferociously, so make sure you start out using a large pot. Pour the sugar caramel mixture over the popcorn, add nuts and stir and toss to coat evenly. Pour onto prepared cookie sheet and spread out to cool. After about 15 minutes, break into bite sized pieces and enjoy.
Our first batch burnt. You can see how dark the caramel was. It tasted terrible. Sissy said "what's wrong with it, it tastes yucky!"...
Our second batch didn't get as dark as I would have liked. After our first mishap, I was afraid it might burn and the kids were getting impatient, so while it didn't get caramel brown, it did taste delicious!
This post has also been linked to:
- Mouthwatering Monday at Southern Fairytale
- Meatless Mondays at My Sweet and Savory
- Midnight Maniac Meatless Mondays
- Hearth and Soul at Frugality and Crunchiness with Christy
- Tempt My Tummy Tuesday at Blessed with Grace
At the Well this week
- Delicious Dish at It's a Blog Party
- $5 Dollar Dinner Challenge
- Tasty Tuesday at Beauty and Bedlam
- Tuesday at the Table at All the Small Stuff
- Pantry Recipe Swap at Home and Pantry
- What's Cooking Wednesday at The King's Court 4
- Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap
- Tasty Traditions at Coupon Cookin
- Recipe Swap Thursday at Prairie Story
- Family Food Fridays at Get Healthy Cheap