Monday, November 1, 2010

RECIPE: Lentil Vegetable Soup

Last year was the first time we had ever tried lentils Lentil and Ham Soup.  And guess what?  We loved them.  A few weeks ago I picked up some dried lentils, just waiting for the first blast of cool air.  I found a yummy looking recipe and then tweaked it to suit us.  This made 4 quarts of soup.  I froze 2 quarts and we'll be eating the rest for lunch this week. 


Lentil Vegetable Soup (adapted from Barefoot Contessa)
1 lb lentils
2 onions, finely chopped
2 leeks, white part only, sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup olive oil
1 Tablespoon Kosher salt
1-1/2 teaspoons black pepper
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon cumin
6 stalks celery, diced
3 carrots, diced
12 cups water 
4 Tablespoons tomato chicken boullion

Cover lentils with boiling water and set timer for 15 minutes. Then drain; set aside.

In a large Dutch oven over medium heat, saute onions, leeks and garlic in olive oil.  Sprinkle with salt, pepper, thyme and cumin and cook for 20 minutes until vegetables are very tender.  

Add celery and carrots and saute for 10 minutes more.  

Add the water, boullion and prepared lentils.  Cover and bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 1 hour or until lentils are cooked through.

Taste and adjust seasonings.  

This is a yummy one!

Per sparkrecipes.com:  16 - 1 cup servings, 92.7 calories per serving, 4 grams fat per serving, 11.8 grams carbohydrates, 1.2 grams sugar, 3 grams protein, 1143.3 mg of sodium, 3.5 grams dietary fiber. 

Enjoy!

This post has also been linked to:



8 comments:

Susie said...

That looks like yummy goodness:-)

April@The 21st Century Housewife said...

This looks delicious, and good for you too! By the way, I gave your blog and your pumpkin swirl brownies a mention in my latest vlog (1 November). Pop by my blog to check it out if you like :)

Lisa said...

This looks like a good hearty dish that will keep you warm during the winter months. By the way, I'm holding a CSN giveaway on my blog and hope you'll come by and enter. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2010/11/45-csn-giveaway.html

Christy said...

I am super crazy about lentil soups - they are just the perfect lunch - hearty, healthy and just stick to you! Most importantly they taste great!! Thanks so much for linking this up to the Hearth and Soul Hop!

Larri said...

I love Lentil soup. Yours looks delicious! My hubby is Greek, so I use his Mom's recipe that is fabulous. Let me know if you'd like to try it. I'm happy to share! :o) Visiting from 5-Minutes for Mom. Thanks for sharing. Happy Tuesday! Larri at Seams Inspired

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

This looks like a soup that will fill one and warm one up. I want this in my soup collection. Actually, I would prefer to have it waiting for me, on the kitchen table.

Thanks for linking this to My Meatless Mondays

Marni's Organized Mess said...

You had me at recipe, and lentil. ;-) I just followed you on Networked blog and RSS. I'm in love.

Great tackle! :)

Did you know? Marni's Organized Mess is on Facebook now? "Like" me if you will, s'il vous plait. ;-)
http://facebook.com/MarnisOrganizedMess

Bonnie said...

I absolutely love lentils. I buy them in 40 lb. buckets and store them in my pantry. We go through a lot of them. Soup is one of my favorite ways to serve them. Great blog.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails