Saturday, December 18, 2010

Pantry Meal: Yakisoba Chicken Noodle Soup $2.93

When I stockpile free and cheap ingredients, I like to rework the product into something different.  I'm hoping to share some of these with you.  

Today I'm sharing a thrown-together-real-quick-for-supper soup utilizing Yakisoba noodles.  Frequently these are on sale for $1 at Kroger and $.79 at Publix.  There are also coupons for $.50 off 1 package in the newspaper.  When these coupons double, you end up with FREE Yakisoba.  When eaten alone, this stuff can be super high in sodium.  So I opted to make a soup.  Here's what I did:

Yakisoba Chicken Noodle Soup
1 onion, finely chopped $.88
1 Tbsp vegetable oil $.05
4 cups water $.00
1 package Yakisoba Noodles, Chicken Flavored  $.00
1 celery stalk, cut on the bias $.25
1 carrot, cut into coins $.25
1 precooked chicken breast, cubed $1.00
frozen sweet peas $.50

In a Dutch oven, saute onions in oil for 5-8 minutes.  Add water, the seasoning pack from the Yakisoba noodle package (set aside the noodles), celery, carrots and chicken.  Bring to boil, crumble the noodles into the boiling water, reduce to simmer for 5-10 minutes.  Adjust seasonings if you need to.  Sprinkle some frozen peas into each bowl and serve the soup.  I do this a lot to cool down the soup for my kids.  And my Picky Hubby doesn't eat peas, so I don't add them to the entire soup, but individual bowls. 

I served these with Homemade Biscuits.  The kids and I loved this.  Picky Hubby didn't like it because of the vegetables, even without the peas!  Oh well! He did eat the chicken and noodles out of it.  

I fed our whole family for $2.93.  We ate it for supper and had leftovers for lunch the next day.  Not too shabby!

Enjoy!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails