This was just plain ol' good! I loved it! I had to tweak the original recipe because I'm always afraid the spicy peppers will have my little ones running for the milk and ice cubes. I also added some shredded leftover chicken breast to make it a little more hearty. This is how I changed it up:
Mexican Chicken Tortilla Soup (adapted from Mexican Made Easy)
6-8 small tomatoes (or 4-6 large ones)
2 jalapeno peppers
6 cups chicken stock
1 Tablespoon onion powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 corn tortillas, torn into pieces
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 precooked chicken breast, shredded
queso fresco, crumbled
tortilla chips (because it's easier than frying up some)
Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add tomatoes and peppers to dry skillet. Turning periodically to make sure they are getting charred and blackened all around.
After the peppers are done, remove them to a plastic bag to sweat a little to remove some of the skin. Continue roasting the tomatoes another 5 minutes.
Using a paper towel, rub some of the blackened skin from the jalapenos, split them and remove the seeds and membranes.
Place the tomatoes into a blender along with the seeded and peeled jalapenos. Pour in 2 cups chicken stock, onion powder, garlic powder and torn corn tortillas. Blend until finely pureed.
Pour contents into a pot and add remaining chicken stock, salt, pepper and chicken breast. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
To serve: Ladle into bowls and serve with sour cream, diced avocado, crumbled queso fresco, chopped cilantro and broken tortilla chips.
This was so good! So flavorful and very filling. The jalapeno peppers were not spicy at all. You have got to try this! Of course, my hubby ("the picky one") didn't like it very much. He said it was a little "too tomato-y" for him. However, he did eat all the chicken out of the soup :)
This post has also been linked to:
- Mouthwatering Monday at Southern Fairytale
- Hearth and Soul at Frugality and Crunchiness with Christy
- Tempt My Tummy Tuesday at Blessed with Grace
- Delicious Dish at It's a Blog Party
- $5 Dollar Dinner Challenge
- Tasty Tuesday at Beauty and Bedlam
- Tuesday at the Table at All the Small Stuff
- Pantry Recipe Swap at Home and Pantry
- What's Cooking Wednesday at The King's Court 4
- Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap
- Tasty Traditions at Coupon Cookin
- Recipe Swap Thursday at Prairie Story
- Family Food Fridays at Get Healthy Cheap