Thursday, December 30, 2010

TLC Show - "Extreme Couponing"

Did you watch this show?

I missed the original airing but saw it later.  

I have to say I am so upset and bothered by these people!

I am a couponer.  I feel like it's important to save money and use your money wisely. 

But seriously, who needs 1000 bottles of body wash?!?!  

And you can't possibly eat 250 boxes of pasta within 4 weeks!

When I taught coupon workshops, I always encouraged everyone to be considerate of others who may be picking up on the deals also.  I would sure hate to see what it would be like for these people to have to get a raincheck, the one woman would probably had an apoplectic fit.

Pick up 4 boxes of Kellogg's week 1.
Pick up 4 boxes of Total week 2.
Pick up 4 boxes of Post week 3.
Pick up 4 boxes of General Mills week 4.
That's 16 boxes of cereal in a month's time.  

And it starts over again.  And again.  And if it doesn't, no worries, you can always eat oatmeal or eggs for breakfast.

And what's the deal with the whole mantra "if I buy 36 bottles of soap for free, I don't have to buy it for 3 years".  Not true.  First of all, someone who buys that many bottles of soap at one time, will NOT wait 3 years to pick up on free soap again.  And trust me, the soap is on sale at least every 6-8 weeks.  Just buy enough soap to get you through until the next sale.  

I understand if you need to purchase enough to get a store reward, like CVS or Walgreens.  They will run a sale stating you need to purchase $25 of this product and you'll receive $10 in store rewards.  Of course, by all means, buy what you need to get the deal, but be mindful of others.

At what point does stockpiling become hoarding?

It becomes hoarding when you don't USE what you get.  Some of these couponers had so much pasta they could feed an army.  Only one couponer had a child.  The others were single or only married couples.  It would take them forever to eat that much pasta.

I appreciated the thoughtfulness of "Mr. Coupon" when he donated 1000 boxes of cereal to a food bank.  That was generous and kind.  Too bad he didn't think about donating some of the 300 toothbrushes or 80 sticks of deodorant...

Sorry, I get a little fired up over this kind of thing.

Enjoy!


4 comments:

Mommarock said...

Are they buying the coupons? I mean really do you want to spend the money on the coupons just so you can say you got that much pasta (that you won't use) "free"? Not, ME! When I first started couponing, I admit I got a bit caught up in the.. oooh I got those free, but then I had so much junk, and junk I wouldn't even want to use, that I ended up throwing away expired food (yes they have an expiration date). Now, I am not feeding my family expired food, no matter HOW free it is. I am feeding 4 people, I buy 4 copies of the Sunday paper, and that is waaaaaaaaaay plenty.

Susie said...

That is ridiculous!!

Jennifer @ Just Peachy in Dixie said...

Our family of three do just fine with 3 copies of the Sunday papers coupons. It's just enough for us, and still gives us a nice manageable stockpile. For those extreme couponers....I say what ever floats your boat. It would be nice if they would (like some seemed to do in the TLC episode) have the store order extra, so us meager stockpilers can have a few as well. :)

Happy New Year!

Jennifer @ http://justpeachyindixie.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I hate that the show made coupons look like a bad thing! i was reading the comments on twitter because it was trending for a minute and everyone was disgusted. Coupons are great and they can really help you save not just numbers on your receipt but money on your bank.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails