Friday, April 15, 2011

Figure Friendly Friday: Mexican Chicken and Rice Soup

Figure Friendly Friday is back!  Hope you have had a great week.  I'm sharing a simple soup recipe this week.

Here's the "rules":
This linky party will be for recipes that come in under 500 calories.  Recipes or methods from desserts to soups and everything in between.  However, if your recipe does not fit the 500 calorie goal, I'll have to delete it.  There are a couple of free calorie counters, but I really like sparkrecipes.com.  Please list the calories per serving somewhere in the recipe for everyone to see.  Also, please link back to Family Stamping and FOOD! and be sure to visit the other participants.

I'm hoping for a successful linky party so let your friends know!

Photobucket



This week I'm sharing a Tex-Mex take on a classic American soup...Mexican Chicken and Rice Soup.


Mexican Chicken and Rice Soup
10 cups chicken stock
1-8 oz can tomato sauce
1 tsp chicken/tomato bouillon
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried cilantro or 1 tbsp fresh
2 cups pre-cooked brown rice
1 cup black beans (or half a can)
1-1/2 cups pre-cooked chicken, shredded or cubed
1 can diced green chiles (like Ortega brand)
avocado (optional, not in calorie count)
reduced calorie sour cream (optional, not in calorie count)

Add everything (except avocado and sour cream) to a slow cooker and place on the high setting. Cook for 4 hours until heated through.

Serve with 2 Tbsp diced avocado (+38 calories) and 1 Tbsp reduced calorie sour cream (+20 calories).  Round out the meal with a small sliver of cornbread.

Serving Size: 8 1-1/2 cup servings

224 calories, 5 gr fat, 28 gr carbs, 15 gr protein per serving

This post has also been linked to:

11 comments:

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

Looks like we're traveling the earth, you have Mexican soup, I have Italian. It's all good!

Unknown said...

Candi, I really hope your linky party takes off. I don't really know the calorie content of my recipes, but I'll go through and figure one out to post.

Unknown said...

I got one posted! :)

Torviewtoronto said...

yummy looking healthy combination

Erin @ Art+Food+Life said...

I love this idea, but how do I know my dish is under 500 cal?

Mirage said...

Growing up in the tropics, I love love chicken and rice! I would want to join figure friendly soon... :) Thanks for sharing!

carolinaheartstrings said...

That looks like a wonderful tasting soug. I love the addition of the avacodos on top.

Coupon Queen said...

This look so good!! My hubby loves Tex-Mex and will relly enjoy this I think. I am following from the Tuesday hop and look forward to more great goodies!! Thanks for sharing this one. :) Have a great day.

Kankana said...

This sounds like an amazing soup to me :) Thanks for sharing it with Hearth and Soul Hop !

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Mexican soup...but I always though a few stale tortillas in mine!! This would be perfect for my Foodie Friday linky party - stop by this week and link up!

If you have a sec, feel free to pop over now to enter my GIVEAWAY!

Michele@FitFoodista said...

Lovely flavors and lots of healthy ingredients! Thanks for sharing with the Hearth and Soul Hop ;)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails