Tuesday, June 21, 2011

How Does Your Garden Grow? 6/21/11

The harvest edition...

I'm a little disappointed with my garden this year.  I guess I really disappointed with the weather.  It got so hot so fast, most of my radishes bolted and I only got a couple.  I think I'll try to plant some more of these in the fall.  I've already lost one tomato plant to wilt, again.  And now my poor green beans are being ravaged by Japanese beetles.  I'm going to make that capsaicin spray.

We did pick a few things the other day:
a few tomatoes, a pile of green beans, a couple of carrots, a few radishes and tons of basil.

We're really excited about the Carnival mix of carrots.  Look at our purple carrot!

There are a ton of carrots growing in the garden.  They are not quite ready, but we were anxious to see how they were growing.  The outside was purple and the inside was orange.  So cool!

The green beans were a little "furry"...not sure if it was the kind of green bean or what, but neither the kids nor myself could stomach eating them.  I planted two kinds, but can't remember which kind this one was.  The others are pole beans and they are just now putting out flowers.  So hopefully they'll taste better.

Check out our baby watermelon!  It's about the size of a golf ball.  It's just the cutest thing ever!

The herb box is growing like crazy!  

The dill has put out flower heads.  I was hoping to do some pickles this year, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen.  However, my cousin says she has a slew of cucumbers to pickle this week.  So I'm hoping to go over and help.  I'm going to take the dill heads to see how they turn out. 

The basil is amazing!  I'm going to try to make some pesto and keep it in the freezer.  If it turns out, I'll share a recipe with y'all.

How is your garden growing?  

Enjoy!

This post has been linked to:

20 comments:

Suzanne said...

visiting from Bloomin' Tuesday...

Your vegetable garden looks amazing -- inspite of the bugs in the from the first photo.

Old Time Cindy said...

I'm jealous of those cool carrots. My seeds were totally washed out so no carrots for us this year.

Unknown said...

Sorry your having trouble with your garden this year. What you are getting looks yummy though, besides the fuzzy green beans :/ I LOVE the carrots, to cute! I bet my kids, who don't care for carrots would like them, just because of the fun color factor. Do they taste like regular carrots?

Brandy Stout said...

Looks great! I planted mine a little late so I'm still waiting to harvest. I have beetles all over my roses!! What is the capsaicin spray?? I would love to try it!
Thanks! Brandy

Candi said...

@Brandy - I'll share it next week. It's a recipe I got from another blogger last year. It works great! It's marinating on the counter as we speak :)

@April - yes, they taste just like regular carrots, but they are so pretty! I bet your kids would love them!

Margery said...

Um Basil, I am still a few weeks away from eating anything in the garden, Yours looks so yummy.

Wearinbeads said...

The purple carrots are yummy, but I found you have to eat them little like you'se are. They get woody pretty quickly. Also they make the cooking water purple!

Athena at Minerva's Garden said...

Your herbs appear to be enjoying all your warm weather--do you want to package some of that sunshine up and send it to me? We could use it out here in the Pacific Northwest!

pam said...

Looks great! For Japanese beetles, I put on my garden gloves and walk around with a can filled with warm soapy water. They are pretty slow, especially in the morning, and I just knock them into the can.

Unknown said...

I'm visiting from Tuesday Garden Party. I grew Carnival Carrots this year as well and they did fairly well given how early it got hot this year and how hot it's been! I ended up roasting mine. I love the red ones, too.

Marjie said...

Stopping by from Pam's! Those carnival carrots are aptly named!

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

Stopping by from Pam's, your garden is going strong! That baby watermelon is the cutest!

Anonymous said...

wow i think your gardens lookin good! your getting vegetables!!! yea!

Ott, A. said...

Love your purple carrots. We planted purple potatoes this year and are anixous to harvest them.

Jenna @ Newlyweds said...

So jealous of your basil and herb garden, I haven't had any luck with herbs this year, ugh. Also love your purple carrot, really neat. Please do share your capsaicin spray recipe.

Bluezy said...

Let me share a wowee fact I know:
Speaking of pesto...you know I never thought about pine nuts until I got a job as a grocery checker. When I saw them, I thought...how small. The first ones I ever saw and ate were at a Saint John's festival at an all girls parochial Brazilian school in Brazil. It was traditional to eat them out of the fire (Bon fires were also traditional). The brazilian pine nut is called a Pinhão.
You will want to see these "Pine nuts on steroids". A blog post on them here-
http://tinyurl.com/3btz3s5

Empty Nester said...

Everything is doing great in our garden EXCEPT we lost all the squash again this year. I'm just not meant to grow squash.

Tidy Brown Wren said...

Those purple carrots are amazing. Do they taste the same as traditional carrots?

Candi said...

Thanks! yes, they do taste like regular orange carrots. There are solid purple carrots, called Cosmic, I think that's the right name. I got them from Botanical Interests. They are purple to the core and I've squeezed the juice from them to create a food color for icing. It worked great but you have to work quickly as it oxidizes and turns brown.

Andrea from Raising Peanut said...

Help! I am growing carnival carrots too! but.... I cannot tell if what is growing are weeds or carrots! Help! What do the leaves look like after 30-45 planting? Mine do not look like carrot leaves. They are flat leaves. I started pulling the leaves / "weeds" out and they have one very long root, very easy to remove. Now I'm second guessing myself. Am I weeding my darling carnival carrots? What do you think?

BTW, there are a few leaves that look like traditional carrot leaves. Not many tho. So for 1000 carrot seeds, I am only getting about 5 plants and about 995 weeds. :) Thoughts?

Thanks!

Andrea from Raising Peanut

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails