Tuesday, September 6, 2011

RECIPE: Pearsauce

Every year we go up to North Georgia and pick apples.  When we come home I make applesauce and freezer apple pies.  Last year, my husband's father gave us some pears and I mixed the pears and apples together to make pear applesauce.  It was so yummy!

This year, they sent 80 lbs of pears!  Yes, 80!  I already put up 40 lbs which turned into 5 quarts of pearsauce.  It is really good.  These pears are tart, so I added a little sugar.  It turned out so good!

Here's what we did:

Sort and wash pears

Peel them...or get some helpers...

lots of help...

cut pear away from the core and put in a large pot

a very large pot...add about 1/2 cup water, juice of one lemon, cover and bring to a boil.  Lower heat and simmer until completely soft and mashable.

Mash them and taste them...if it's too tart, add a little sugar.  I added about 1/4 cup sugar for the whole pot and some cinnamon.

fill sterilized jars and add rings and lids...process in water bath for 25-30 minutes...

ta-da!  There you go!

According to my Ball Blue Book, you process these in water bath for 25-30 minutes.  I decided to do full 30 minutes. 

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Susie said...

I am so jealous! My pears didn't come in this year:-(

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails