Tuesday, April 17, 2012

RECIPE: Hoppin' John Soup

My husband doesn't like vegetables.  In fact, he'll eat green beans, salad with no dressing, carrots and the occasional bean dish.  He does like black eyed peas, which is crazy because when I got married to him, I didn't like black eyed peas.  Now I love them.  Here's a yummy meal my friend Donna sent me.  I used frozen purple hull beans which taste similar to black eyed peas, you use what you have on hand.  

Hoppin' John Soup
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 large onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound kielbasa (I used smoked sausage), sliced on the bias
2 14.5 oz cans chicken broth
2 cups water
4 cups frozen purple hull beans (this is what I have on hand, you could easily substitute 2 cans black eyed peas, rinsed and drained)
14 oz can navy beans (I used Great Northern beans) rinsed and drained
2 cups brown rice, cooked (I had some in the freezer)
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon fresh parsley, chopped
1 teaspoon fresh cilantro, chopped

In Dutch oven, heat oven over medium heat.  Saute onions for 5 minute, stirring frequently.  Add garlic and stir until softened and fragrant.  Add sausage and cook for 10 minutes.  Pour in the chicken broth and water along with purple hull beans (If you are using canned black eyed peas, skip this next step), bring to a boil, reduce to simmer for 30 minutes.  Add navy beans, rice, seasonings and herbs, mash beans slightly to help thicken the soup.  Cook for another 10 minutes until thoroughly heated through.

Serve with cornbread.

Delicious!  We found it a little spicy from the sausage, but other than that it was great!

Enjoy!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails