Thursday, February 4, 2010

Frugal Skin Care

I still remember when my Momma and Dad took me to Lenox Mall in Atlanta for my first bag of Clinique cosmetics.  I was really excited because at sixteen years old, every other girl in my High School had been wearing make-up since Middle School.  But my Dad really wanted me to wait until I was 16 to wear any real makeup.  I mean Momma let me wear lip gloss and she even let me buy some of that clear mascara (Don't tell me you don't remember that stuff! Boy am I telling my age or what!), but real mascara and real blush and real lipstick, I couldn't wait!

But before wearing any makeup, Momma taught me a very important lesson in caring for my skin, especially my face.  She always encouraged me to wash my face in the morning and at night.  Removing any dirt or oil accumulated over time.  We only purchased Clinique facial bars since they were fragrance free and non-comedogenic (didn't clog your pores).  She also purchased the Clinique Skin Toner to help remove leftover make-up or oil not removed by the soap.

I'm not going to say Clinique cosmetics are thrifty by any means.  In fact, I've given up my beloved Clinique after almost 20 years of using it.  I quit my secular job to be a stay-at-home mother to my children almost 4 years ago, and well, frankly, we just couldn't afford it anymore.  After I learned the coupon game and how I can still purchase great cosmetics at a fraction of the cost (like Almay and Neutrogena), I still needed to find a good and affordable skin toner.  And that's when I remembered something Momma told me once.  She had been checking out at the grocery store and noticed the complexion of the cashier.  She commented on how pretty her skin was and the girl told Momma she only used Witch Hazel to maintain her skin.

A bottle of Witch Hazel can cost anywhere from $.50 - $3.00.  Sometimes you can get it for free if you are using a coupon and combining that with store rewards.  Witch Hazel acts as a natural astringent and promotes good skin health.  If you choose to use Witch Hazel, make sure it's 100% natural and does not include alcohol which can dry out your skin. 

I've been using Witch Hazel for the last 2 years and love it.  What I love even more is not paying $20 for a bottle of toner at the Department Store!  Witch Hazel is very thrifty on your wallet and a bottle will last a very long time!

Enjoy!

This post has been linked to:

_______________________________________________________________
I was not compensated by any one company to state the above.  This is purely from my experience using witch hazel.  However, there are a few links embedded which will direct you to amazon.com.  If you choose to purchase products through the links, I will receive a small compensation from amazon.com.

1 comment:

Coupon Teacher said...

Great ideas! I think I might try the witch hazel!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails