Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Homeschool: "V" is for Vegetable Seeds UPDATE

Remember when we began testing the vegetable seeds last week?  Here's an update.  I am happy to report everything sprouted with the exception of the Eggplant.

In this picture, we have Butternut Squash, Watermelon and the Green Beans I saved from last year's garden.  Two of the 10 sprouted so I'm guessing I might need to go ahead and pick up some new seeds this year, but I'm glad to know I might have done something right in my first attempt at seed-saving. 
In the above picture, we had 4 different kinds of tomato seed packets.  We numbered the packets and then numbered the napkin.  Then we placed 5 or 6 seeds from each packet in a row above the corresponding number.  If you look closely, you'll notice the seeds from packet #1 didn't sprout.  After checking the date on the packet, I'm not surprised.  They were from 2007!  Oh well, the others did sprout, so I'll be trying to start those indoors in the few weeks in peat pots.  
Haylei was so excited to see if the seeds had sprouted.  She is really looking forward to "helping" me with the vegetable garden this year.  

3 comments:

Tracey said...

What a great project! I'm hoping to plant a few things in containers on our patio again this year. This makes me look forward to Spring! :)

Miriam said...

What a fun project and a neat way to get your daughter excited about gardening!! I hope to start my tomato and peppers from seed this year. Two yeas in a row having thrips (a microscopic bug) on the tomato plants I bought pretty much made that decision for me. Now I just need to calculate WHEN I need to start them :P

Rachel said...

Awesome! Thanks for the tips!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails