Tuesday, February 2, 2010

RECIPE: Tamale Pie


Remember when I browned up the ground beef and cooked up the Great Northern and Black beans?  Well, when I was searching through the many recipes by Ingrid Hoffman for the FNCCC at I Blame My Mother, I wanted to find a recipe that used these ingredients.  I found her Chipotle Tamale Pie.  But I knew my kids nor Kevin would eat it with that chipotle pepper in it.  So I changed it up a little:

Tamale Pie
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 pound ground beef, pre-cooked
3/4 cup Black beans, pre-cooked
3/4 cup Great Northern beans, pre-cooked
10 oz can Rotel
1 teaspoon dried cilantro
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 cup water
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 box Jiffy cornbread mix
1 egg
1/3 cup milk

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Spray an 8x8 casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray; set aside.  Saute onions and garlic over medium heat in olive oil.  Add ground beef, 

beans, Rotel, dried cilantro, cumin; mix to combine.  Let heat through for about 5 minutes.  

In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water and pour into skillet, stirring to combine.  Meanwhile, mix up Jiffy cornbread mix with egg and milk.  

I used 1/2 cup cheese in the cornbread mix and topped it with 1/2 cup cheese.  Ingrid's recipe called for you to add the cheddar to the meat mixture.  Pour the meat mixture into the 8x8 casserole dish and press down.  Pour the cornmeal mix over the top and spread carefully to the edges.  

Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.  Let pie stand for 5 minutes before cutting and serving.

So I have to say I didn't have Jiffy and looked up a recipe to make my own.  The pie would have been better if I had the Jiffy mix I think.  The bottom of the pie didn't stay in place and I thought it was kind of runny so that's why I added the cornstarch.  But when I took it out of the pan, it didn't look nice and clean like her picture.  It was good and the kids liked it but I don't think I'll be putting this recipe in my recipe book.

Join in on the fun over at I Blame My Mother and see what everyone else is cooking up this week!

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Susie said...

You know, there wasn't a lot of great feedback on The Food Network site about her work. I had a tough time finding something to make.

SnoWhite said...

Looks like an interesting one to try -- glad your kids liked it!

I spied a cookbook in your photo -- I have the same one :)

Sarah said...

It does look like it would be good. Ditto about the husband and kids that will not eat chipotle. I wish it would be easier to make half spicy and half not. Just doesn't work most of the time. I am finding that I a much more pickyabout a recipe making my recipe box....this just means I'm finding lots of great recipes becasue the so-so ones don't make the cut! Thanks for cooking with FNCCC~

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails