Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Frugal Gardening: Coffee Grounds and Worms

photo source: lizziecow

I've been reading about the love affair between used coffee grounds and worms.  Seems that adding them to your vegetable gardens and flower garden beds results in happy worms and a slow release of nitrogen into the soil.  

Did you know Starbucks gives away their used coffee grounds?  I called my local Starbucks and they held some for me.  We picked up about 50 pounds the other day!  For FREE!  You know I love FREE!  When we got back home, I sprinkled them into the raised beds and we'll see if the love affair will continue in my garden too!

Enjoy!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great idea! I'll have to try it.

Susie said...

I actually did know that! My older daughter used to work there:-)

Jenna @ Newlyweds said...

How cool, I always save mine up and dump in the flower beds also. Great tip.

L said...

thanks for the idea!! I need all the help I can get.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails