Monday, May 3, 2010

Mommy & Me Monday and My 5K Drama

Okay, so you know how I told you we were planning to run in the Big Peach 5K on Saturday morning at 8 a.m.?

Let me tell you how my morning went:
5:45 alarm goes off
6:00 dressed and eating cereal with banana
6:15 haylei up, whining...
6:30 hunter up, sucking paci
6:45 kids not cooperating but finally got dressed
6:50 snacks packed with juices and waters
7:00 walk out the door
7:25 on the interstate stuck in traffic, paving road, AGAIN!
7:45 still in traffic, I begin to get upset
7:55 roadblocked by police, have to detour (road blocked for the race!)
8:00 stuck at red light in front of road where race has BEGUN, I start to cry 
8:03 hubby says to jump out of van and ask police lady where the starting line is, I did and she points to a block away, but says to just jump in because it's right there...I said I paid extra to see my start time and had a thingy on my shoe that needed to be triggered...she said just go run...then I spotted my friends whom I was supposed to meet up there...out of 1600 people I see them!!!  So I joined them and she said they'd only been walking about 2 minutes

I finished at 45:15, but technically I didn't get an actual start time and I feel like I sort of cheated since I didn't "start" with my friends at the start line.  Oh well...
My friend Jodi, who is our "5K planner and organizer", has decided we'll do another race on September 11 in Villa Rica.  I think it will be great and can't wait.  I was so close to the 45 minutes and I really want to beat the 45 minute mark!

Overall, the "rolling course" was not bad.  We decided to jog the downhill parts and walked the uphill and straights.  I think the hills might have helped us finish faster.  It was cloudy and humid but there was no rain, thank goodness!  Despite the drama from earlier, it was a great race and I really enjoyed it.  I honestly, cannot believe I am saying I enjoyed jogging and walking 3.1 miles but I really did.  I'm a huge fan of The Biggest Loser and last week they helped some Texas residents complete a 5K.  The contestants have come a long way and to finish at the times they did, was such an inspiration.  Running/Walking in a 5K is a huge accomplishment for me.  Much less, doing two!  I look forward to sharing more of our 5K journeys with y'all.  I hope you know, if I can do it, you can do it.  I am not a skinny, fit person, but hope I can keep up the training to help me become a more fit and healthy person, not only for myself, but for my children and husband.  With that said, here's my picture for today:



Mommy and Me Monday at Really, Are You Serious?
Hosted by Krystyn



 It's of me and Haylei after the race:


Enjoy!

9 comments:

Susie said...

Oooo...you are triggering my road rage just thinking about that!

Unknown said...

Congrats on completing the race! I know your a little disappointed to not have started at the actual starting line, but you DID participate in the race, no matter where you started.

Jenna @ Newlyweds said...

Way to go!! I've done a few 5k's in my day and even running I never did do better than 30 minutes I am a super slow jogger.

So glad you didn't give up even though the circumstances and pushing a stroller, awesome!

Candi said...

@jenna - 30 mins is awesome! Good for you! However, I wasn't pushing a stroller. My husband had the kids at the finish line waiting for me. I think pushing the stroller would've really done me in :)

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Congratulations on finding your friends and doing the race..that's awesome.

Of course, it sure helps to have cute little cheerleaders!

Vanessa Washburn said...

Well done on the 5K. That's one of my goals for the year, but so far I am slacking. And now I know it can be done :)
I would love to see a big mommy and me 5k where everyone is pushing strollers.

Tara said...

Congratulations!! you are always such an inspiration!!! :)

mary n said...

so you'll be coming to my town in sept? at the gold rush festival? awesome. my husband does the 5k's in our family. he did one where he was pushing our older son in a jogging stroller and all he kept yelling was "faster daddy, faster" lol.

congrats on participating in your run. that's just awesome!!

Mandy said...

You did awesome girl! Congrats! You had a stressful morning and you should be proud of your accomplishment! Way to go. What a cute photo of you and the kiddo too! I know you'll do even better at the next one! I think it's great that you do so much. You're a lot like me.... a regular Renaissance woman and mom! Think about all the great things you do on a daily, weekly and monthly basis. You're amazing! :) P.s. - I mentioned you at the end of my last blog post to check out for strawberry recipes... I hope you don't mind. So if you see some increased traffic, comments on that post, you'll know why!

Happy Mother's Day to you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails