Have you been stockpiling over the past year? I've been picking up freebies as I can get them. I had cut back to purchasing only two Sunday newspapers until October when I went back to buying four. I continue to "purchase" the free items at the grocery store if we're going to eat them. I also try to stockpile grocery items when they are less than a dollar.
I'm not really interested in using up our stockpile without replenishing it. We have a workable budget and I think we do pretty good with what we have. I don't have any plans of decreasing our grocery budget. I would like to purchase more healthy proteins. After watching Food Inc., I would really like to add grass-fed beef and free-range chicken to our meals. In my opinion, these seem to be a healthier option. I'm still researching cost and soon will make our way to the Whole Foods market and Dekalb Farmers Market to do some price comparisons. I'm looking into to purchasing fresh eggs from some local people so that will be a little more convenient than driving 30 miles to the Whole Foods.
So here's our pantry and freezer goals this year:
- stay within our $75 weekly budget (this includes toiletries, diapers and wipes)
- continue to purchase seasonal fruit and produce
- continue to "purchase" free grocery items
- begin purchasing fresh eggs locally ($2-3 a dozen)
- begin purchasing free-range chicken (price is unknown at this point)
- begin purchasing grass-fed beef (hoping to spend no more than $3.50/lb)
- buy hormone-free milk (Walmart started carrying this recently)
- pick our own fruit and berries (last year we picked apples, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries; this year I'm hoping to add peaches to our list)
- continue baking from scratch (cookies, cakes, pies - but in moderation, we really are trying to eat better and lose some weight)
- make some Pantry Meals based on freezer inventory
Recently, I started sharing Pantry Meals using up some of those store freebies you might not like "as-is". I made Yakisoba Chicken Noodle Soup a few weeks ago and I'll share a Super Easy Turkey Pie on Saturday.
This post has been linked to: